Faculty Learning Commons Topics and Selected Starter Resources
Advocacy and resources on:
- Migration, http://university.crs.org/migration
- Human Trafficking, http://university.crs.org/human-trafficking
- Climate Change http://university.crs.org/climate-change
The following are two classroom-tested introductory resources for each archived topic.
- “Slavery: a global exploration” (1 hour video). Small, personal stories of slavery are woven together to tell the larger story of slavery in the global economy. This film won the Peabody Award in 2001.
- “Slavery and Commodity Chains: Fighting the Globalization of Indifference,” by Vincent J. Miller
- Interview with Xavier Plassat of Brazil’s Pastoral Land Commission (video).
2) SEX TRAFFICKING http://university.crs.org/session/session-ii-sex-trafficking
- “International Aspects of Human Trafficking,” by Mary DeLorey, Strategic Advisor, CRS. This five-page essay is an excellent introduction to human trafficking.
- “Helping Survivors of India’s Sex Slave Trade,” by CRS’ Laura Sheahen.
3) UNPACKING FOOD SECURITY http://university.crs.org/session/session-i-unpacking-food-security
- CRS’ Approach to Food Security (video, 7:23), by David Leege, CRS Director of University Engagement and Research for Overseas Operations
- Journey Against Hunger (Video, 4:37), by CRS For a good overview of global hunger see The Hunger Map, an interactive visual mapping of hunger by the World Food Program
4) FAIR TRADE AND ETHICAL TRADE: STATE OF THE MOVEMENT http://university.crs.org/session/fair-trade-and-ethical-trade-state-movement
- Jonathan Rosenthal, a Co-Founder of Equal Exchange gives an educational interview about his vision behind EqualExchange and food sustainabilityhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqK2McQ9Tw
5) FAIR TRADE IMPACT: COFFEE AS A CASE STUDY http://university.crs.org/session/fair-trade-impact-coffee-case-study
- Equal Exchange: Who We Are and What We Believe In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Cx5Jn9hgA
6) INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR HEALTHIER COMMUNITIES http://university.crs.org/session/session-i-ict4d-healthier-communities
- CRS ICT4D Programs: Using Technology to Empower Those We Serve(video, 3:41)
- CRS India Cell Phones Lead to Better Health for Expectant Moms: CRS’ Reducing Maternal and Newborn Deaths
7) INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR BETTER BUSINESS http://university.crs.org/session/session-ii-ict4d-%E2%80%93-better-business
- Mobile Phone Usage Explodes in Africa Spurring Innovation (video, 9:00), by PBS Newshour
- Case study – Agriculture and Livelihoods: Using Digital to Support Business Applications(video, 31:00), by Shaun Ferris
8) THE ROAD TO PARIS AND BEYOND – A PRIMER ON CLIMATE CHANGE POLICY, ACTION, AND ETHICS http://university.crs.org/session/session-1-road-paris-and-beyond-primer-climate-change-policy-action-and-ethics
- Climate Change Facts, by the Global Catholic Climate Movement. Includes 16-minute video based on the work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The video considers several questions, among which: 1) What role does inequality play in the way climate change impact is felt? 2) In what ways are people mitigating and adapting to climate change? 3) What will enable necessary mitigation and adaptation internationally?
9) CLIMATE CHANGE IN THE WORLD’S MOST VULNERABLE PLACES – INNOVATIONS IN ADAPTATION http://university.crs.org/session/session-2-climate-change-world%E2%80%99s-most-vulnerable-places-innovations-adaptation
- Ethiopia: Improving The Land To End Hunger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCOPbKy7kI
10) CLIMATE CHANGE AND FOOD SECURITY IN THE WORLD’S MOST VULNERABLE REGIONS
- A Way Forward: Facing Climate Change
Explore the global impact of climate change and its devastating effects—and learn what scientists suggest in response—in this short documentary film from National Geographic and the UN Foundation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAA7FEqYTjA
- CRS’S 10 PRINCIPLES OF PEACEBUILDING. http://university.crs.org/sites/default/files/pb%20principles.pdf
12) AFTER THE PEACE ACCORD: TRANSITIONAL JUSTICE AND RECONCILIATION http://university.crs.org/session/after-peace-accord-transitional-justice-and-reconciliation
- Uganda: The Challenge of Forgiveness https://vimeo.com/40450751
13) CIVIL SOCIETY, THE CHURCH & PEACE PROCESSES http://university.crs.org/session/churchs-role-peace-processes
- CRS Video,“A Day in the Life of…Peacebuilding in the Holy Land”. This story presents Bayan and Netanel, two teenagers who share their inspirational stories about family and day to day life in Palestine and Israel.
14) INTER-RELIGIOUS DIALOGUE AND ACTION http://university.crs.org/session/inter-religious-dialogue-and-action
- CRS Peacebuilding Interview Series – Shamsia Ramadhan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECCiB09128I